Thursday, April 26, 2012

cupcake challenge ::: week 5 ~ earth day


This is my inspiration for this weeks cupcake challenge:


This bag of crushed up Oreos kinda looks like a bag of dirt and since earth day was this past Sunday there is my theme. 

 And this is what I came up with (with the help of my Littles.)


I know it's a mess but it actually tasted yummy.  Once the sour worms came off.

I made golden cupcakes and chocolate mousse for frosting. Then topped them with crushed up Oreos, green coconut flakes and sour worms.

The chocolate mousse is the just add milk and whip it kind that comes from a box.  Crush up some Oreo cookies to sprinkle on top.  Mix a little green dye in the coconut flakes and place around the edges.  Add some worms, or not.  I have to say my favorite part is the cupcake itself.  I set a couple off to the side to eat later with a glass of milk.

Golden Cupcakes
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, separated at room temperature
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk

Preheat the oven to 350*F and put liners in 12 cupcake tins if you fill them 3/4 of the way and 18 tins if you fill them 1/2 full.

Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl on medium speed with an electric mixer for about 3 minutes.   Mix in the egg yolks and vanilla very well

In another bowl sift the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Add about half of the flour mix to the butter/sugar mix.  Then half of the milk.  Then the rest of the flour and milk. Mixing the whole time.

With clean beaters beat the egg whites for about 4 minutes on high till stiff peaks form.  Gently fold the egg whites into the batter with a spatula.

Fill the cupcake liners and bake for 20 - 25 minutes.

I know it makes more dish mess and takes more time to separate the eggs and whip the whites. It is worth it though.  I've made the cupcakes by tossing the whole egg (out of the shell of course) into the butter/sugar mix because I didn't want to deal with the extra steps.  The texture of the cupcake isn't as nice and they aren't as fluffy.  If any of y'all decide to make the golden cupcakes; it's worth the extra work and dishes.

Now, I'd love to see any cupcakes y'all make and maybe try out a new recipe.  So go ahead and leave a link in the comments and I'll stop on by.

2 comments:

  1. yummiest reminds me of the dirt cups we made as kids with pudding

    ReplyDelete
  2. JCub: I remember those too! We have a little cookie crumbs left so my Girlies are making dirt cups now :)

    ReplyDelete