Monday, November 1, 2010

moonlight mohair ~ everglades

I have quite a bit of this yarn bought on sale a few years back.  It was one of those buys that couldn't be passed up and then just sits in the stash.  I have used up several colors bought at that sale.  One of my favorites is the Tundra.  I have one skein left and was thinking of making a headscarf with it. 

This is something I won't be frogging because I don't like to take out anything knit with mohair.  It knots up, tangles, breaks, basically it is a pain.  If it ends up surviving the frogging; the yarn is never the same the second time it's knit up. 

So, I swatched it.

I checked it for stitches per inch.

I stretched it a bit because this headscarf is held on by stretch alone.

Then I did the math, subtracted a whole inch worth of stitches, and used one size smaller of needles; being cautious of it being too big.  And what happens.....

It ended up bit bigger then I wanted it to be.  It will still fit someone with a head of about 22"; too big for me.  I am glad that used one of the 8 Everglades skeins and not the 1 Tundra that is left in my stash.