Monday, November 1, 2010

moonlight mohair ~ everglades


I have quite a bit of this yarn bought on sale a few years back.  It was one of those buys that couldn't be passed up and then just sits in the stash.  I have used up several colors bought at that sale.  One of my favorites is the Tundra.  I have one skein left and was thinking of making a headscarf with it. 

This is something I won't be frogging because I don't like to take out anything knit with mohair.  It knots up, tangles, breaks, basically it is a pain.  If it ends up surviving the frogging; the yarn is never the same the second time it's knit up. 

So, I swatched it.


I checked it for stitches per inch.


I stretched it a bit because this headscarf is held on by stretch alone.


Then I did the math, subtracted a whole inch worth of stitches, and used one size smaller of needles; being cautious of it being too big.  And what happens.....


It ended up bit bigger then I wanted it to be.  It will still fit someone with a head of about 22"; too big for me.  I am glad that used one of the 8 Everglades skeins and not the 1 Tundra that is left in my stash.


3 comments:

  1. I love it! I had to find a tape measure to measure my head.It's about 21 1/2 inches. lol. You do some amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too! If it weren't for the wooden needles that would poke my eye and the the computer screen from holding me back, I'd press my face up against the yarn - it looks so soft and cozy! Absolutely love the colors and texture. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first saw these pictures of this Mohair yarn I thought it was mohair with Christmas lights in it. Beautiful knitting.

    ReplyDelete