Thursday, April 19, 2012

cupcake challenge ::: week 4 ~ chocolate



Though not the devils food cupcakes with chocolate mousse buttercream frosting I mentioned on Monday.  I looked for a recipe that was the same as the one in  Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey to give all y'all a recipe link.  But didn't have much luck.  Though I found this recipe.  No, I didn't make those cupcakes either.  I need to get to the store to pick up sour cream and keep getting sidetracked by the beach; every day this week.  Can you see where my priorities are? 

Last night I raided my pantry for a box cake mix.  I found a Triple Chocolate Fudge cake mix and a 4oz box of chocolate fudge instant pudding.  I added the pudding mix to the cake mix and followed the box instructions for the cake.   Except for substituting softened butter for the oil and adding 1 cup of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips to the mix. 

I needed to add about 10 minutes to the cooking time.  Checking their doneness by the spring back method rather than inserting a toothpick.  Because the chocolate chips will make the toothpick come out dirty.

I made a basic chocolate buttercream frosting that my mom taught me to make around age 12 without measuring ingredients. So it ends up a little different each time but basically the same. This recipe will work.  I used Ghirardelli dark chocolate and heavy cream instead of the milk.  After frosting the cupcakes I dipped them into a bowl filled with chocolate sprinkles.



2 comments:

  1. I would say that the beach is a worthwhile distraction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had an ocean here, I'd go to the beach. Let them eat sandcupcakes! The chocolate cupcakes sound yummy. If Austyn hears about them he'd really want them. He's crazy about chocolate.

    ReplyDelete